Monday, January 7, 2008

This Christmas

I feel like this was our first normal Christmas of our marriage. The first Christmas we had together, we drove out to California for three weeks while we were students. Last Christmas, we were living with my grandparents, so this Christmas was the first Christmas were we woke up in our own home and didn't have to make any big trips. Hooray for normalcy.

Last Christmas, Mari was 7 weeks old, so she wasn't at all old enough to be aware of the Christmas around her. It is tradition in my family that Santa lays out the gift to the kids, so when Mari got up, we wait a minute or so for her to become conscious, then we let her walk out to see what "Santa" brought her. (Once I get the video up, I'll add it to this post.) We, er, Santa got her a piggy bank that makes sounds when you drop the huge coins in it. She's playing with it right now as I'm writing this. Good job Santa.
Aaron got me something I really really wanted...a santoku knife! From Cutco! I was very excited about it. I'm doing a lot more cooking, and I watch the food network whenever I feel like I can sit down without the guilt. What a thoughtful husband! (He got me the larger knife.)
For Aaron, I did something that I've been trying to avoid, but Aaron is such a hard worker, and I thought he deserved it. I got him a GameCube. I got it off of Craigslist for $30 along with a controller and a super-sized memory card. Not bad, eh? I also got him three games: Smash Brothers, Madden '08, and DDR Mario Mix. Okay, the DDR was more for me. :)
Another highlight of the Christmas was being able to talk to Mindy and Joey. They are both doing well. Mindy just got finished with a busy season of Festival of Lights at the Washington D.C. Temple Visitors' Center where she is serving her mission. Joey had just gotten to Japan before Christmas, so he missed the traditional Christmas we have at home. They are great missionaries, but we sure miss them!

No comments: